Heroes!
  • Posted On: Oct 1 2012 4:59am
Particularly this most recent series. Asylum of the Daleks and Dinosaurs on a Spaceship are already two of my all time favorites from the Smith era, and you can tell that the episodes have gotten noticeably more cinematic. Moffat is one of those writers that you have to sort of put a lot of trust in his vision to really enjoy though, a la Sorkin or Whedon.

The only real complaint I have is that occasionally he will fall back on more contemporary plot obfuscation gimmicks very much in the vein of Lost in order to build and maintain a level of suspense that keeps you coming back, but can feel at times like a carrot on a stick.

That being said, his team writes The Doctor extremely well, which is really a make or break for the show considering he is the focal point for the show's universe. Doctor Who is one of those very rare concepts that attains a level of iconic uniqueness that reminds me a lot of why I fell in love with IPs like Star Wars in the first place. The only limitations to it is the imagination of the writers, and Moffat and his team certainly don't lack imagination.

Speaking of Moffat, as an addendum I'd like to throw Sherlock into the mix. Fantastic modern retelling of Sherlock Holmes in a really interesting format, seasons of three episodes that run for 90 minutes each, so its really like watching three small movies a season. Add to that the tour de force performances by Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman as Holmes and Watson, respectively, not to mention without a doubt the scariest portrayal of Moriarty I've ever seen, and you have a recipe for a show that I'll probably keep coming back to for years.

Also, thanks for mentioning the Newsroom Om because I completely forgot it in my original post! Was the original reason I decided to delve into TWW in the first place. I don't think its nearly as strong a show as TWW, and unfortunately Sorkin seems to be letting the more radically liberal aspects of his creative ego bleed through in his more recent writing. The show puts me off sometimes when it becomes painfully obvious that he's just setting up an argument for himself to win, or "burning" hardline Republicans, and often times at the peril of slanting the viewer's perception of an issue farther to the left than is really necessary. (I'm thinking of the economist's diatribe against the repeal of Glass-Steagall, while totally omitting the fact that in a globalized market, bank segregation would cripple US-based firms or they would find a way around it.)

But when the show shines, it really shines. The root-concept of a theoretical reclamation of the Fourth Estate provides a fascinating show framework while highlighting very real human problems in the way were are changing how we consume news media. The attempts to inform people on the scary state of affairs currently within the Republican Party also merit applause, but unfortunately the more noticeable liberal slant compared to TWW probably means Sorkin will end up just preaching to the choir. And above all, Sorkin is really good at writing characters and relationships that you immediately start to care about, even if he's not super great at writing women.

Hopefully he'll hit his stride in season 2, I'll still be watching at any rate.

Is Falling Skies worth the effort to get into? I watched half of the pilot, and I was a little intrigued, but I had other stuff on my list and it got pushed back onto the to watch list, not sure how I should be prioritizing it.
  • Posted On: Oct 1 2012 4:17pm
Falling Skies - Zark, I would have to say, for you, probably not worth it. It is fluff, pure and simple. I watch it more for the concept than any real interest in the characters. I hear a lot about the "History Professor" and in the pilot it seemed to be an interesting idea but other than the occasional reference to the founding fathers, I did not see a lot of practical advantage him being a history professor brought to the table in their situation.

At least with Revolution, the insurance adjuster turned soldier was a better sell. What wasn't a sell was where he also stated he marched through grime and slime for what? Months? Years? to find this guy who his soldier ended up shooting 5 minutes after they meet? What was that about? I would have skinned that soldier alive. Project Runway has more drama than this.

Anyway, after having seen the first episode of Revolution, I put Falling Skies on par with that. 2nd Season of Falling Skies did seem better than the first season... I would not put in on your priority list tho.

Also, I could have kicked myself for not mentioning Sherlock. Brilliant. I bought the 2nd season just cause I could not wait for Season 2 to appear on Netflix.
  • Posted On: Oct 1 2012 11:30pm
Giancarlo Esposito is probably keeping me watching more than anything else is at this point. Its weird, its like...you're right, nothing he is doing is really making sense, so I can't say his character fascinates me, more so Esposito's raw performance of that character is what's keeping me thinking about him. Its like, you can clearly tell this guy is extremely talented, and he's tapped into something really powerful here, but he's trapped in a glossily-produced, badly written show and its frustrating, honestly. :P I'll watch tonight's episode, but we'll see where I go from there.
  • Posted On: Oct 2 2012 3:59pm
Well, I am the same when it comes to watching a series to the end, (as long as it doesn't royally suck)

Lost was worth the wait I think, I enjoyed it.

Sherlock, I didn't catch all of it, but I saw a few episodes, and what I did see was great , enjoyed that also.

Again, I only saw a few West Wing episodes, here and there, but thought it was extremely well written, very sharp and well observed, I will definitely catch up with it one day.

Doctor Who, hrm, well this is one I grew up with, and loved to watch as a kid. I love the character, always have done.

I was disappointed with the first series to be honest, it was very...kiddyish. To me, one of the reasons why I liked Doctor Who, was that both he, and the series was quite intelligent. I felt they had dumbed it down a little to make it more mainstream.

That being said, it definitely got better as it went along, and I think Mr Tennant's run was pretty good actually, seem to get the balance better as they went along.

Loving the Walking Dead....

braaaaaaaiiinnnnsss...

:D
  • Posted On: Oct 5 2012 1:54am
You should check out Burn Notice. It's a nice spy series, which has the protagonist dabble in odd jobs and dealing with being outed publicly as a spy. I've been finding it somewhat intelligent, and have been enjoying the little 'spy tip narratives' the main character offers throughout an episode.

Jeffery Donovan is growing on me as an actor (main character).

Plus, it has Bruce Campbell as one of two constant companions, and he's a hoot.
  • Posted On: Oct 5 2012 8:04pm
Ah yes Burn notice, I forgot about that one, great series that! seen quite a bit of that.

Plus, it has Bruce Campbell as one of two constant companions, and he's a hoot.

Seconded! heh