Heroes!
  • Posted On: Sep 20 2012 5:02pm
I kept putting off watching it. I was into Lost...started Fringe, finished Terra Nova (meh), started Alias (which was another one I was not really into when it was out) and just plain ran out of things to watch that held any interest. Waiting for Game of Thrones and Walking Dead to come back on...so I figured, what the heck.

Put Netflix to use.

Yes, I am uncool.

:p
  • Posted On: Sep 21 2012 4:41pm
First episode of Revolution seemed kind of interesting. Its on Hulu right now.
  • Posted On: Sep 21 2012 5:05pm
I liked the concept of Revolution. I just got annoyed when the girl in the advertisement was saying something along the lines of liking what had happened because she had grown into her own due to the "disaster" or whatever it is that shuts off the power.

I remember thinking, "Yeah, real heroic. It only took billions of deaths for you to grow up but now we can all be happy because you are now grown up."

Missed the premiere but I will probably check it out when my derision cools.
  • Posted On: Sep 24 2012 12:22am
Om: If it's any consolation, I didn't even finish BSG until last year, and I only just recently started watching Lost. Good shows are good... who cares if you get around to them a few years late? xD
  • Posted On: Sep 25 2012 1:16am
I have all of Heroes on DVD.

I also now have all of Prison Break.

And Stargate SG-1.

And Smallville.

And a bunch of others mentioned above, up until current DVD releases.

Is it me, or did Fringe get boring when they were toying with the 'nobody remembers Peter' angle? I liked the group dynamic, and then they took it away.
  • Posted On: Sep 29 2012 4:10am
I caught a couple of episodes here and there, and quite frankly had no clue who the people were , what they were doing, or why they were doing it.

One day, I'll catch up. ;)

I did finally manage to watch all of Lost.

Thanks to Lovefilm, lol

I saw the first two seasons, then it changed channels over here and I never saw it again, lol - until now :P

Oh and I have yet to see the final series of BSG also Hyfe, was an awesome series, really liked it, but the writers strike kinda got in the way at the time, and I have yet to catch up since.

Got my eye on the boxed set :P
  • Posted On: Sep 29 2012 3:37pm
The final season of BSG is bad, and the ending is terrible.
  • Posted On: Sep 29 2012 9:49pm
I'm still watching Revolution, but probably not for much longer. Its...not great. The pilot pulled me in, but the second episode fumbles around with dystopic cliches in a really, really unflattering way.

Irtar: Agreed on BSG, in my opinion everything after and including the Cylon Civil War storyline was garbage, particularly the "Final Five" shitfest, everything before was some of the best shit I've ever seen on television. So my opinions on BSG are hopelessly mixed.

Vance: Yeah, season 4 of Fringe got really weak. I won't say it sucked, but it was really obvious that they had kind of finished their story arch with the Machine and Redverse and were lurching about for somewhere to go. I stuck it out out of show loyalty, and the latter half of the season got really good really quickly. If you haven't, watch Letters of Transit (season 4, episode 19) before you give up on it completely. I daresay it'll suck you right back in. The new season is off to a pretty intense start, too.

Other shows I've found fascinating lately:
New Doctor Who - Extremely campy early on, but the production values pick up over the course of the show and the recent stuff is really solid.

The West Wing - Yeah motherfuckers, that's right. You think you take a long time to get around to shows? Fuck you, you don't. If you haven't seen TWW yet, and you aren't an anarchist, I highly recommend it. Such a solid show overall, and the election story arch that brought it to an end has some pretty incredible parallels to the 2008 election.

Hell on Wheels - Watched the first season, and while its definitely no Deadwood, there's actually a lot to like here. Kind of a unique time period that doesn't get a ton of attention (Reconstruction era, post American Civil War for Seth). I was initially a little put off when I realized one of the stars was Common (yes, the rapper), but he's actually surprisingly talented, and it was his performance as much as the main character's that kept me coming back.

Outcasts - Only ran for a season on BBC, so expect a cliffhanger ending with no resolution, but this series fascinated the fuck out of me. Occupies that weird gap between near-future and far-future where everything is much more advanced, but not crazy futuristic. Very realistic, apart from some minor supernatural elements which also somehow work and add a sense of foreboding throughout.

Breaking Bad - If you're not watching Breaking Bad, watch Breaking Bad. I'm not caught up yet, still in season 2, but they just don't make bad episodes of this show. Bryan Cranston has won the Emmy for lead actor every year this show has been eligible for the awards, and its well deserved.

Being Human - I started watching the American version, but the UK version is also excellent, I hear. Very dark, very fascinating. In season 2 of the US version, and it hasn't let me down so far.

That's it off the top of my head, I'll let you guys know if I think of any more that are particularly notable.
  • Posted On: Sep 30 2012 2:47am
I am with Zark on show loyalty. If I watch a whole season, then I stick it out to the bitter end.

Series currently being watched:

Walking Dead - waiting for premier
Game of Thrones - waiting for premier
Falling Skies - waiting for new season (I am sucker for alien invasion crap; Personally I would like to see a sequel to Battle:LA)
Newsroom - waiting for new season
I am with Zark again regarding the West Wing. Best show ever! I own the box set for this show. Let Bartlet be Bartlet! So when I heard about Newsroom, I was in. I was a little put off by the pilot episode but the more I watched it the more it grew on me. I will be on this train until it ends or implodes.

Fringe - Season 4 now available on Netflix and DVR'ing the new season. I just finished Season 3.
Alias - Finishing Season 1 (1 disc to go)
Heroes - started Season 2

Revolution - Just saw the first episode and it was enough for me to come back for the next episode but I found myself wishing AMC was the network behind the concept. I dig post-apocalyptic stuff but not when it is mickey mouse-land.

I have DVR'd but not seen Last Resort. Not sure exactly how they can make a series out of the concept (rather than just a mini-series special) but I am interested in what they come up with. I dug Crimson Tide and Hunt for Red October and generally like submarine movies (U-571 and the Land that Time Forgot).... Of course, when I watch Last Resort I will wonder: What Would Hyfe Do?

I liked Deadwood but I lost HBO at the time and never saw past the 2nd season or saw Rome. They are on my "to see" list. Hell on Wheels is a maybe. I am sure the acting is great but the life and times of the Transcontinental Railroad doesn't really interest me. Breaking Bad I will probably see when the series is good and done.

BSG - While the discovering of the "five" was a bad move, I did like how they handled the whole "Earth" reveal. I would have liked the LOST last season more if they actually had answered some questions. Even so, I own BSG and LOST DVD sets as well.
  • Posted On: Oct 1 2012 1:28am
New Doctor Who - Extremely campy early on, but the production values pick up over the course of the show and the recent stuff is really solid.

There are a few weird things that happened, but overall I like the new Doctor Who a lot, it's my favorite show on TV right now actually.