1905-1910 Armoured Cruisers Discussions
  • Posted On: Oct 5 2005 8:59pm
What a creepy mental image that brings forth.
  • Posted On: Oct 5 2005 9:00pm
Warhammer? What game is that?

Nah, just kidding. I know what Warhammer is. But I've never played it. About the the only thing I've done with minituares is at a club, I forgot what the rules and guide was called. The funnest battle I had was a naval version. Me and two guys commanded the German Naval Force, consisting of the Pocket Battleships Lutzow, Scheer, and Cruiser Prinz Eugen. Our goal was to break out into the Atlantic, or make it to the other side of the table/board. Opposing us were three guys, one commanding the battleship KGV, one commanding the cruiser Doretshire, and the other commanding a squadron of two destroyers.

We ran our ships in column formation, single line, along the very right side of the board. The weather rolls were in our favour, with heavy fog getting us to halfway up the board. Then the fog lifted, and five thousand yards from our battlegroup sat a single destroyer. We all smoked it in a turn, then I broke formation from the group to cross Doretshire's "T", and sank the cruiser with quick and accurate gunfire+torpedoes (in other words, I correctly guessed the ranges, and rolled good on the torpedo strike chances). I then set my ship in formation with the rest of the group, and had to go home because it was past my bedtime.

When I went to the group the next time, I later learned that the fog lifted and the KGV smoked all three ships with accurate long range gunfire, meaning that the British team won the round.
  • Posted On: Oct 5 2005 11:14pm
*continues geekery*

I used to have quite the Imperial Guard thing going on myself.

Three Basilisks, a Leman Russ tank and three squads of guard troops.

As well as innumerable space marines, eldar, nids and orcs.

What? :|
  • Posted On: Oct 6 2005 1:06am
For the Imperium!

For the Emporer!

:P
  • Posted On: Oct 6 2005 1:35am
Don't get me wrong. I've a lot of respect for the Imperial Guard.

But I don't play Warhammer because Game Workshops is a bastard company who made it so the only way to have the 'best armies' was to pay the most money. Instead of the classic systems (and the previous Warhammer owners) charging by the the vehicle or troop, they charge seperately.

And that angers me :P

Though my wargamming experience involves....

A) A battle of the Eldar (me, and two of my friends) against a Spare Marine held starport (controlled by three other at the place I go)

B) Me taking a squad of Belgian troops to victory against Russians! (THAT'S RIGHT! Though these Russians were Third Etchillon it means nothing! Belgians beat Russians! ;) )

And I've got my foot into the new Fantasy Campaign they have started. I don't own any armies yet, but I'm waiting for the next MIGS-Con and am going to buy some troops for cheap... hopefully. The only figure I've got thus far is my Wizard (and he's from our D&D. Yes, we play D&D with figures. The PCs get figures, the NPCs chess pieces :) )

Oh, and Long Live you Brother Imperitor! ;)
  • Posted On: Oct 6 2005 10:44am
GW has bastardized the game - they reduced the entire array of IG options to just the Cadians. I had my hopes on having a Mordian Iron Guard battalion, but those were discontinued - it is hard enough to find any steel legion soldiers any more
  • Posted On: Oct 6 2005 11:58am
That's what the conventions are for! You'd be amazed what 'amateurs' who got their hands on the molds can do. ;)