1905-1910 Armoured Cruisers Discussions
  • Posted On: Oct 1 2005 11:13pm
um.
  • Posted On: Oct 1 2005 11:15pm
I agree -I simply did not want it limited to say before 1890 - lest we discount the impressive array of warships around during the Spanish Amerikan War.

Spanish ships of this conflict were almost to a man little more than iron hulled ships with rigging and were second rate at best. Two ships - the Olympia and Brooklyn - American cruisers both - eliminated an entire squadron of Spanish warships at Manilla - likewise at Santiago albeit by different vessels.
  • Posted On: Oct 2 2005 2:21am
Spanish ships of this conflict were almost to a man little more than iron hulled ships with rigging and were second rate at best. Two ships - the Olympia and Brooklyn - American cruisers both - eliminated an entire squadron of Spanish warships at Manilla - likewise at Santiago albeit by different vessels.

You have to remember that those were both basically colonial squadrons, second rate ships assigned to protect the colonies while first rate ships served in home waters. The Spaniards actually had quite a good few vessels in this period. The Pelayo is an excellent armoured cruiser, sporting a main armament of 2x12.6" guns and 2x11" guns, along with a decent secondary of 9x5.5" guns, 7xtorpedo tubes, 16" belt armour, and a speed of 16 knots.

Perhaps the most modern Spanish Cruiser deployed to Santiago was an Cardenal Cisneros class ACR, but for some stupid reason, she was sent while still fitting out, and served without her main 9.4" guns, carrying instead just her 8x5.5" secondaries. If she had been equipped with her 9.4" guns at the ranges involved, she stood a chance of taking an American battleship with her.
  • Posted On: Oct 2 2005 3:14am
True - it was a matter of command at the Battle of Santiago -to us the possibilities are endless for solutions to the outcome. There are many things that the defending Spanish could have done better - and should have. The Spanish home fleet was not nearly as good as the fledgling Ami fleet - and that for a colonial power is a sad state of affaitrs.
  • Posted On: Oct 2 2005 4:10am
Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstacy, and alchohol. Co-co-co-co-co-cocaine
  • Posted On: Oct 5 2005 6:46pm
Worth noting rae battleships of the day. Be ready for thread on same.
  • Posted On: Oct 5 2005 6:54pm
I bet you two Wargame ;)

I can see Telan and Kracker with their little Warhammer sets.

Telan: I move my chaos marines into position to fire upon your sniper squad.

Kraken: Not so fast! My drednaught's on overwatch! I move my drednaught into your chaos marines.

Telan: Oh no! You've sunk my battle-plans!

*laughs*
  • Posted On: Oct 5 2005 6:56pm
*urinates on Eldar base*
  • Posted On: Oct 5 2005 8:45pm
*send in the 'Nids*

No. I did not just Emote a post. Fucker.
  • Posted On: Oct 5 2005 8:57pm
For the record, I have an Imperial Guard Army. ***waits for shocked sounds***

It is modelled off of Steel-Legion soldiers but they have been modified into the [i]Totenkorps von Krieg[/i[, or Death Korps of Krieg. My men wear black jackboots, grey breeches, and blood-red tunics/great coats. I have also shyed away from most standard Warhammer armored vehicles and have instead created a battletank with thin armor. As the chassis I used the German Tiger Ausf E armed with a Vanquishser Cannon.

It is truly quite splendid - I have an entire battalion of them thus far.