1905-1910 Armoured Cruisers Discussions
  • Posted On: Sep 19 2005 6:27pm
Note: If your not Telan, you probably have no clue as to what were discussing, but everyone is free to participate if they have their own opinions or facts about the ships being discussed. I felt discussions such as these belong more in a general discussion area than a R&D thread.

Ok, today's topic that I have been looking over the past couple of days, armoured cruisers. I noticed your (Telan's) comments about the Brooklyn and New York, and decided to take a general look into each navies's armoured cruisers. Just a little comparison, and I'd though I'd get your thoughts on these.

Ok, first off, the British. Working from the Devonshire class up to the Warrior class, armament wise, they have big enough guns and lots of them, but turret numbers and arrangement are poor in my estimation. Take for example the Devonshire class. Four 7.5" guns, but placed into four single turrets instead of a simple twoxtwos, and of their arrangement, three are placed forward, ahead of and on either side of the bridge. Talk about vulnerability of a major ammunition explosion.

Drake class, only two guns mounted here, with tons of secondary armament. Duke class, much better turret arrangement, but I think two twins fore and aft and two singles precisley amidships would have been better than six singles, although it would be hard to take them all out unless you just wrecked the whole ship.

Warrior class, same as Drake class, good ships, but could of been better. I think the best British ARCs were the Minotaur class.

As for the French, ok, most notable feature is, what is up with their funnel arrangements? But going into armaments, very light number wise, although guns were of a decent size in later ships, 9.4". The Renan class, very good ship, two twin 7.6" turrets fore and aft, good spacing on the secondary armament, I would rate this ship second best in the armament category for the French. Number one would be the Leon Gambetta class, same main armament, but for the secondary armament, we have twin 6" turrets, again very good spacing, a very well armed ship. Also the Dupleix I feel needs mention here, for although she has a small main armament, 6.4", they are in turrets again, 6-gun broadside, very excellent.

U.S. armoured cruisers. Very excellent armament wise, 8" guns for the main turrets. California class, twin turrets fore and aft, good secondarys, perhaps a bit overloaded armament wise, but still a good ship. Brooklyn, 8x8" guns, in four twin turrets. Six gun broadside, probably the best armoured cruiser around this time period armament wise. New York, similar, except five gun broadside with 6x8" guns.

German armoured cruisers, again very excellent ships, doing the excellent 4x8.2" armament in twin turrets fore and aft on all their ships, upgrading to the 9.4" guns in the Furst Bismarck class, etc.

Japanese ARCs, although exported from Italy and Britian, good ships. Most of them are armed with twin eight inch guns, except for the two Imported Italian cruisers, which are armed with one single ten inch gun and one twin eight inch gun turret. Finally, Russian ARCs, nothing very impressive at all in the early term, however they were the first navy to have armoured cruisers, and the Improved Bayan class is good, along with the awesome Ruirik Armoured Cruiser, considered the best armoured cruiser evar.
  • Posted On: Sep 19 2005 9:02pm
Are you planning on doing a series of these threads, for Armoured Cruisers in other time brackets?
  • Posted On: Sep 19 2005 9:11pm
because if so procuring some friends might be the wiser course of action.
  • Posted On: Sep 20 2005 2:01am
Well armoured cruisers first came about in the 1870's and were gone by 1911 with the advent of the battlecruiser.
  • Posted On: Sep 23 2005 4:39am
Not so - battlecruisers filled an entirely different role but true, armored cruisers as well as the older protected cruisers of the past were phased out. Timkes changed and so did naval architecture.

Armored cruisers of the period 1890 to 1910 might be a better scope as it encompasses the short but glorious time of their reign.
  • Posted On: Oct 1 2005 9:08pm
I reply and the thread dies - this explaisn the brown and dying folliage around my apartment
  • Posted On: Oct 1 2005 9:11pm
No, that's Ren's fault.
  • Posted On: Oct 1 2005 9:52pm
We told him there was a restroom just around the corner, but he wouldn't wait.
  • Posted On: Oct 1 2005 10:02pm
1890 to 1910.

Ok, let's see, the British didn't build ACRs until 1900.

In 1890, the French built the Dupuy De Lome, a rather strange looking ship when looked at from above in her line drawing, with an armament of 7.6" and 6.4" inch guns. Armour protection doesn't seem good for a ACR of this period.

I'm not seeing any German armoured cruisers before 1900 either.

The US comissioned New York in 1891. Very good armament, a broadside of 5x8" guns and 6x4" guns, good speed, but protection is so-so. Kind of like the French ship.

The Japanese didn't comission any ARCs until 1898.

The Russians comissioned the Vladimir Monomakh in 1881, minimal armament and speed, but awesome protection.

In 1892, the Italians comissioned Marco Polo, light armament, and protection, but good speed.

In 1893 the Austro-Hungarians comissioned the Kaiserin-Und-Konigin-Maria-Theresia, with good armament, decent protection, and decent speed.

In 1887, the Spanish comissioned the Pelayo, with awesome armament, ok speed, and very good protection.

In 1890 the Chileans comissioned the Presidente Pinto, with light armament, light protection, and ok speed.

And that's it. Those were basically, from a limit of 1895 to earlier, every navies's first armoured cruiser. I'm most impressed with the Spanish Ship.
  • Posted On: Oct 1 2005 10:05pm
We blow stuff up good. Endentured servants do good work. No dental plans.