Ooops
  • Posted On: Oct 22 2006 12:22am
To be honest if I was in a battle against the Navy and they were all wearing pink triangles and rainbows I wouldn't feel at all threatened and would have no intent to turn myself in. I also think that people wouldn't want to be in the Navy if those were the uniform.
  • Posted On: Oct 22 2006 1:21am
One Eyed Wonderworm
It's really not that big of a deal. The swastika just got a bad name because of the Nazi's. It's actually just a religious symbol. Sure the Navy doesn't have any ties to a religion, but it probably serves some point.
Do you know what symbolism is? Symbols - any symbol - means what it means to the present culture. Sure, you can talk about the origins of the swastika and what it used to mean.

Simply put, in Western Culture, it no longer represents well being, good fortune, or whatever else you might care to look up on the big wide internet.

Show anyone in the Western World a swastika, and what does it represent?

Vioence. Opression. War.
The worst genocide in world history.
Nazis.

And, as Beff pointed out, White Supremacists, and Neo-Nazis.

Why do you think Prince Henry met with such a strong reaction when he wore a German military uniform, complete with swastika, to a costume ball?

Do not think for one moment that casual display of a swastika is "not that big of a deal".
  • Posted On: Oct 22 2006 2:03am
Thank you.

Now, on to the deeper paranoia; the question begged is "Why?".

Throughout the colonial United States there are hundreds if not thousands of buildings which have, by intent or design, encompassed some very varied archetecture. Europe is rife with elaborate design formulas...

Google makes it all available with a birds eye view.
  • Posted On: Oct 22 2006 5:06am
Perhaps an addition to an existing structure, without an overhead view beforehand? Poorly planned from an aethstitic point of view, but probably functional. And the armed forces are all about functional.
  • Posted On: Oct 22 2006 6:04am
even if it was just an addition, the whole structure would have to have revised blueprints to tell the work crews how to build it in relation to the older buildings. and those include an overhead view. and there is no way in hell it was designed to be functional, theres to much landscaping for it to be functional
  • Posted On: Oct 23 2006 1:08pm
This is older than my grandmother, and she's dead.

They did it on purpose and if you zoom out you can see two fighter pilots attacking the symbol. Although they look more like TIEs.

linky
  • Posted On: Oct 23 2006 8:30pm
No longer looks like a Swastika with Sam's link.
  • Posted On: Oct 23 2006 10:23pm
You're looking at the wrong building, Park.

And I'm sure it hardly looks like a Swastika from the ground, but that's not the point is it? From the underside of a pachyderm... you'd hardly guess an Elephant.
  • Posted On: Oct 23 2006 11:55pm
  • Posted On: Oct 24 2006 12:27am
Fuck...