Hi
  • Posted On: Apr 3 2005 2:53pm
Relatively new here....about a week or two of membership, I'd wager.

Just thought I would say hi, and ask a question or two, those being the following:

1. I've been looking around, and still don't have the slightest idea as to how I'd start RPing without making myself look like a jackass. Any suggestions?

2. In terms of character creation, I'm wondering just what the limitations are. Could I make a soldier in some existing army? A commando? A pilot? A bounty hunter? A merc? An elite guardsmen to a VIP? Are there guidelines for this, or what? (I already know about the Jedi thing, and have no interest in crafting a character for that occupation ;) .)
  • Posted On: Apr 3 2005 4:28pm
1) Most people just make jackasses of themselves... that usually works pretty well.

Okay, maybe not. Basically, you can either join an existing RP that's marked "Open", or start your own (and mark it Open if you want people to join). A lot of people would suggest starting with the Astral Astoria - it's geared for beginners, and stuff. But just start writing somewhere. But first, decide on a character (heh).

2) There's not a lot of limitation, except for Force Users obviously. You're certainly entitled to create a soldier/pilot/commander in an army, this might be easier if you join a group that has an army/navy/whatever, but it's not a prerqusite. I would suggest it, just because it makes things easier... an army that's only IC evidence is you is a little hard to define, imo. Same goes for any military post... unless you want to do a small elite army/rebel group on a planet kinda thing.

I'm not making much sense.

But bounty hunters, mercenaries, smugglers, etc. are fine, and don't need a group to back them up. Really, as I say, the only limits are in terms of the Force. And perhaps armed forces, just for fairness reasons (i.e. you can't make up a huge army without the OOC group work to mantain it). But a small army... sure.
  • Posted On: Apr 3 2005 5:27pm
Demo did a pretty good job (it had to happen eventually) of breaking it down, but let's see if I can't help a bit more.
  • Posted On: Apr 3 2005 6:23pm
1. I've been looking around, and still don't have the slightest idea as to how I'd start RPing without making myself look like a jackass. Any suggestions?
Everyone looks like a jackass in the begining, that's just how it goes. So, we don't mind. :)
2. In terms of character creation, I'm wondering just what the limitations are.
There are no limitations, it just has to make sense within the confines of the Star Wars galaxy. Jedi have power limitations, see rules for details.

Welcome to TRF.
  • Posted On: Apr 3 2005 7:04pm
Thanks, one of the warmer welcomes I've gotten. :)

Think I'll give Astoria a go.

As for the character, maybe a bounty hunter'd do. Would jet black Mandalorian armor be too unoriginal?....Or perhaps banged up, grey biker scout armor...hmm. Maybe I could design something myself, reminiscent of both. Lot of possibilites here, yet I'd appreciate an opinion on this...or suggestions, since I have no idea what I'm doing, save for the writing itself.

Personal ships come into play, I'd imagine...so maybe...a modified T-wing?
  • Posted On: Apr 3 2005 8:12pm
Ship wise, as long as you don't say you have, like, a Super Star Destroyer or something, you should be okay. In that regard, the rule of thumb is 'if you can realistically support it, you can have it'. So if you're a very powerful smuggler, you might be able to get away with a Star Destroyer, sort of thing.

Common sense is the order of the day, really.
  • Posted On: Apr 5 2005 3:18am
For a personal craft, a fighter would not be all that practical, unless you're just puddle jumping. If you're bounty hunting you would naturally have bounty to bring in now and again, and then there is that whole issue about people getting jet lag when they sit still for days on end...

The old rule of thumb used to be <30m for personal craft size, but since we don't do build que's anymore, use the common sense rule.

For character outfit, jet black mandalorian armor would be a bit odd. Mandalorian armor is hard to get in the first place, and being jet black might be a little warm in some places. ;)
  • Posted On: Apr 5 2005 10:20am
Bah, all Mandalorian armor comes with built in AC, Kas. Everyone knows that.
  • Posted On: Apr 6 2005 12:53am
So, a Skipray Blastboat (25m) would be sufficient? Properly modified to require only a single crewman, of course.

And yes, that ebony Mandalorian armor idea was sort of stupid. I'm leaning toward Storm Commando armor, purchased off the black market...or something. Still working out a back story, and trying to iron out edges for a character.

Thanks for the input. :)
  • Posted On: Apr 6 2005 1:56am
Yes, a Skipray would be fine. I look forward to reading some of your work; since I have been RP'ing exclusivly in the Astral when I do get around to posting, I'll probably be writing with you fairly soon. :)