Hey.
  • Posted On: Jan 18 2007 5:06am
Well, I've been searching for days for a Star Wars play-by-post forum that suits my own tastes. I'm seriously hoping I can at last settle down here, and finally get down to actually Roleplaying.

And, as any new member normally does, I have several questions to help me get started in creating my character.

One, I read through the TRF Timeline, and it somehow managed to confuse me more than help me. Exactly which era is TRF playing within? Is it forty-two years after Episode III or not? Any clarification on that would help loads.

Two, I noticed that character sheets are preferred short and concise. Will lenience be granted if one's character sheet is somewhat lengthy? I tend to be obsessive-compulsive when it comes to character sheets and constantly updating them.

Three, are characters allowed to start play with starships as long as they fully detail how it was obtained, how the crew is supported/paid, how the crew was acquired, etc.?

I apologize if this information is noted somewhere and I managed to miss it. I'm somewhat frazzled after spending several days sifting through countless forums. Answers to these three questions would help me immensely in getting started, and I'm sure I'll have more questions to come as they pop into my head.

Otherwise, hi.
  • Posted On: Jan 18 2007 5:28am
Greetings.

Welcome to TRF. At risk of being physically assualted by Beff (don't ask), I'll use his catchphrase:

Use at your own risk.

Anyway, questions are good. We like people who come and ask questions, as opposed to just diving in headfirst.

Timeline: You're probably confused because TRF's timeline diverges from the canon (EU Star Wars) around the Black Fleet Crisis. Most of the events listed on the timeline are TRF canon... stuff that has happened in the TRF universe.

In short, lots of stuff (the massive Vong invasion most notably) never occured. TRF is currently set around 40 years past Episode III (although the timeline states 42, some amount of time has passed since the last events recorded there. I would estimate it being around 45 years since Ep III at most).

Characters: You will not be penalized for having a long, detailed character sheet/biography as long as the material contained in your bio doesn't serious conflict with TRF canon or is otherwise illogical bullshit. We recently had a new player try to create a massive, ancient, superpowerful Empire in his biography, as well as insinuate that Han Solo was a member of this Empire.

THAT WILL NOT FLY.

However, since you asked some sensible questions and seem reasonable (at first glance) I doubt you'll be causing those kinds of problems. If you're not sure if something will work, ask. There are plenty of people who will tell you whats ok and whats not.

Starships: TRF used to have a very long and detailed set of rules. However, in an attempt to simplfy the game somewhat, that set of rules has been replaced with one rule (and a host of unwritten rules in the fashion of Common Law).

The one rule is (to paraprhase slightly): What is reasonable and passes the common sense test is acceptable.

Could a new character show up with a fully crewed Eclipse Super Star Destroyer? NO!
What if that character has written a long a detailed story describing how said ship was obtained, is currently crewed, paid for etc? NO!!
What about a fleet of ISDs? Again, No.

Could a new character start out with one medium sized, canon, vessel, like a nebulon B firgate or something in that vicinity?

Probably. If its realistic, sure.

Hope that helps. Have fun, and enjoy.
  • Posted On: Jan 18 2007 5:39am
Welcome.
  • Posted On: Jan 18 2007 5:44am
Thank you very much, Brutus.

I have no intention, nor interest, of ever attempting to own a "Eclipse Super Star Destroyer". My character is monogamous in her relationship with her slightly modified Corellian Corvette.

If it is around forty-five years after Episode III, would I be correct in saying the current year is - give or take - 26 ABY?
  • Posted On: Jan 18 2007 6:15am
Close enough.

Welcome to TRF; hope enjoy your stay.
  • Posted On: Jan 18 2007 11:17am
Welcome to TRF
  • Posted On: Jan 18 2007 3:19pm
Hi, I'm a newbie too - seems like a great place so far with a really friendly crew.

Mind you, I joined the New Order, so maybe that will all change *lol*
  • Posted On: Jan 18 2007 3:57pm
Welcome to TRF! Enjoy your stay.
  • Posted On: Jan 18 2007 5:53pm
Welcome to TRF.
  • Posted On: Jan 18 2007 8:57pm
Welcome to The Rebel Faction; use at your own risk.

Being as Brutus did such a good job, guess I'm done.

By the by, if Brutus should vanish during the night; the fewer questions asked the safer you will all be.

Mwah!