What is...
  • Posted On: Jul 1 2006 6:30pm
I was wondering if there is an agreed turbolaser range throughout the TRF. If so, what is it?
  • Posted On: Jul 1 2006 6:39pm
I guess that depends on the use.

For me; turbo-laser range is based on "plot length". I use such things as story hooks and devices, not as set rules to define an indefinable quanity of space. I remember an old rule based on posts, not range.

Anyone who disagrees is free to do so.
  • Posted On: Jul 1 2006 9:52pm
Yes, Beff has got the right approach really.

Remember this is all fiction at the end of the day, I don't think either the films or the books go that much in depth about that.

If anyone knows otherwise I'm sure they will say.
  • Posted On: Jul 1 2006 9:55pm
I was asking because of a certain post. In any case, I always used the WEG standard, which was 150 km.
  • Posted On: Jul 1 2006 10:03pm
In Telans conquor thread, it was said to be 50Km for a heavy turbolaser. Smaller turbolasers would in theroy have a smaller range.

And that's not the only problem we're having, one of many. Such as your damned stealthing which makes fleeting with you nearly impossible IMO, though very interesting. But if it comes to worse, I'll post some stuff on that in the furture.
  • Posted On: Jul 2 2006 5:12am
I say it's four feet.

Don't like it, tough.

See the problem here? It's why we don't use MGLT as a standard. It's why we don't count RU's in combat and why we don't present massive fleet manifests in our stories.

The turbo-laser is, ahem, a plot device.
  • Posted On: Jul 2 2006 10:13pm
I've always thought of it as a mid-to-short range ship-to-ship capital heavy weapon, meaning that if the enemy's charging you or you're charging them, then that's the time to use it. If they've just disengaged or you've just disengaged, then that's a good time too. If you're grinding, another good time. Otherwise you'd be out of range.

I agree with Beff though, it reaches as far as it needs to for your story. If someone starts using it to do something it really shouldn't be doing (shooting across the entire system, knocking beer bottles gently off wooden fences, cleaning their teeth) then the complaint is a bit more legitimate, but otherwise it's all a matter of perspective and opinion.
  • Posted On: Jul 3 2006 3:17pm
In one of the NJO books a star destroyer outside of sensors range of Coruscant fired a shot that hit a Vong ship floating around Coruscant.
  • Posted On: Jul 3 2006 4:41pm
That's a good point. The author of the book said that it was using a "pulse setting". Apparently it was sort of like a long-range laser if I remember correctly.
  • Posted On: Jul 3 2006 7:43pm
Important thing to keep in mind: In general the NJO, Dark Nest and Legacy Of The Force events never occured in our timeline and as such they tend to be ignored when it comes to "What Is Possible". This is not true in all cases, however; it will be a point you'll have to defend if you should choose to Copy And Paste from a novel.